Thursday, January 17, 2008

Moments


There are certain moments in ones life that you will never forget. This was one of them. Others come and you hold on to them and hope that the details never fade. The feeling, the sights, the smells....we try to keep them as vivid as possible. 

We took Finn up skiing for the third time last weekend. The second time we took him he wanted to ride the big chair. "To the top Daddy," were his words, and so we went. The 14 minute ride up Chair 1 was brilliant, the ride down was trying. Two hours later we were back a the lodge. He must have crashed 200 times, each one smiling. One time he went down and looked up at me and said, "Daddy....I like Skiing with you." Melts your heart.
Last weekend he rode the Chair twice, the second time I will never forget. 

Finn had a break through, trying so hard to follow his buddy Ian, he power wedged straight down the hill picking up speed and carrying it through the flatter sections.

I will never forget, letting the skis run under me as Finn slid along side flowing down the Mountain. His face a picture of perfect Joy as he glided under his own power. Bang he got it,  and just like that first time he broke the chains of training wheels he now propelled himself down the mountain by his own direction. Channeling gravity, harnessing its power. 
These moments are more than they seem. They are the realization that what Tracy and I created is growing into his place in the world. 

Gaining his own identity and shaping his future. We realize we only have so much influence and we can guide him only so much. We pray he makes good choices, but just like us all, I am sure he will learn a few lessons the hard way. 

There will be other days like this, other more important ones, when I let go of him and he moves on to make his own tracks in the world, carving out his future and defining his past. 

Welcome to the world little Man...........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Tim. Very powerful. Now I want to go skiing really bad!

Kathie Reid-Bevington said...

So cool that you recognize -- and celebrate -- these amazing moments!

Can't wait to see you and Tracy when I'm in and around the Valley to cover some races for VN in March/April.

And I'll be at Heidi's baby shower, so hope to see Tracy there, too.

Cathy Loper said...

Timmy, now you know how Dad & I felt watching you grow up. Finn has an amazing dad. I am so glad you will be there with him on every mountain not just the ones with snow.

And, I will keep doing my job. As Finn says "Grandma, your job is to love me." I can definitely do that! It makes me sooo happy that Finn gets it.
He knows why we are here--to love each other!
Of course---legos are important, too!

Anonymous said...

what a special moment...beautiful post

:-)